[HOT] Non-Commercial Licenses

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Tue Apr 8 18:32:01 UTC 2014

Hi,
even if it would not be restricted to personal use, any data that is put
to OSM has to be under a license that allows commercial use, too.

HOT has a special purpose, but as long as it's data is living in OSM,
that data may be used for commercial purposes as well and therefore data
sources used by the HOT members have to be valid under the OSM umbrella
as well which contains nearly unlimited commercial use as well.

IMHO - although I'm not a lawyer - the court decision you refer to is
out of scope here, even a very liberal view of "non-commercial" is too
restrictive for OSM.

regards
Peter