[HOT] Looking for maps of Lesotho

Sebastian Schropp sebastian.schropp at hotmail.de
Fri Apr 11 06:14:46 UTC 2014

Hi,

another source for names is GEOnet Names Server. You can find a short description about the accuracy here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Potential_Datasources#GEOnet_Names_Server

It's possible to use it in JOSM via the WMS-Service: http://geonames.nga.mil/names/request.asp?REQUEST=getCapabilities (Choose the Layer "Approved_P)
Here is a search function where you can see the feature type of a name: http://geonames.nga.mil/namesgaz/
You can also download the whole country file: http://earth-info.nga.mil/gns/html/namefiles.htm (1700 Names in Lesotho)

Regards,

4rch

Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 02:04:56 +0100
From: davecorley at gmail.com
To: hot at openstreetmap.org
Subject: [HOT] Looking for maps of Lesotho

I'm hoping folks here can assist. I'm currently using the tasking manager to assist planners in Lesotho to create a map of various parts of Lesotho and I have several tasks set up tracing unplanned (no basic services) residential areas around some of the major cities and towns. I've also got a task set up mapping the base outline of villages over a large area, however there are no pre-existing maps of the country that I can find to use as a basis for naming these areas.

Would anyone know of any contacts that might be useful in obtaining old out-of-copyright maps or other maps (license compatible) that I might be allowed to use as a layer so that I can start adding names to some of the villages and rivers etc we are tracing.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
(OSM - DaCor)