[HOT] OpenDRI Field Guide Released

Severin Menard severin.menard at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 19:40:27 UTC 2014

Dear John,

Sorry to get back on this topic a few weeks after the release of the first
draft of this report, but time ran quicker than I hoped before finding
enough time to read it properly.
First, I would like to say to express my opinion about the report: it is
really impressive. It is written in a concise, understandable, educational
way that make it easy and pleasant to read and it is a great, flexible tool
to advocate for and set open data, disaster resilience and community based
mapping. It also describes in a very detailed, open manner the OpenDRI
project organization and staff.

I have one question, one suggestion and a few feedback points.

The question is: will this report be soon translated into various languages
(French, Spanish, etc.) to be largely disseminated?

The suggestion is about the past OSM community experiences in Haiti
mentioned by Robert in the Community Mapping with the Red Cross in Haiti
insert. The resources that allow such programs to happen are based on
various training + community building projects that have started since
March 2010, encompassing IOM embed projects, USAID funded projects (for a
total of USD 1 million, I would say at least) + voluntary remote and/or
field supports of many individuals (Nicolas Chavent, Jaakko Helleranta,
Brian Wolford, Sebastien Pierrel, Pierre Béland, Robert Baker, Delphine
Bédu, Emilie Reiser and me but I am certainly forgetting people - please
forgive me). It would be worth to include and analyse them as OpenDRI
related pioneering initiatives and regarding the lessons that have been
learned from them. What do you think?

My feedback points:

Regarding OpenData and France, this slideshow provides I think some the
main past and future milestones:
http://www.slideshare.net/laurelucchesi/france-open-data-national-action-plan-g8

Regarding community building, the report emphasizes chapter 6 (first
collection) the importance to maintain a sustainable, fun spirit and
involvement among the mappers (I prefer this word rather than surveyors,
because it seems related to the "traditional survey techniques"), but
chapter 7 (Catalyzing) does not describe not much how this can be
maintained, what is actually an important issue whose solution is likely
not unique.

Page 56, the second step is called Import data what seems a bit as import
of existing data may not happen (if there is none) and because it
encompasses as well the remote, crowd-sourcing mapping that is likely to
bring more data than the potential import.

I also found a few typos that may have been already found by others:

The Open Cities Toolkit will available in mid 2014: be is missing

visualize the likely impacy of a hazard on schools: impact, not impacy

geographic data from the UK’s Ordinance Survey: Ordnance, not Ordinance

users to fuse data from data catalogues, community mapping platforms: use
and not fuse?

Learning happens quickest when failure is transparent to all and s team: s
to be deleted?

[optional] Inubator or Accelerator services to the OpenDRI initiative:
incubator and not inubator

Connections between stakeholders who have umet challenges: I guess unmet,
not umet

COSMHASTM: they prefer COSMHA-STM

Sincerely,

Severin