[HOT] Solomon Islands Earthquakes

Chris Daley chebizarro at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 12:50:32 UTC 2014

I don't think there's been much impact from the earthquakes (and there were
a lot of them, just none of them on land) but MSF OCA dispatched an
exploratory team there last week to look at the issue of flooding which has
displaced over 10,000 people in Honiara. The last update from MSF Sydney
(who have shared operational responsibility for the region) is that they
have initiated a response to the flooding and have despatched a medical
team.

This project is most likely being coordinated through the MSF OCP emergency
desk for the Asia Pacific region which is based out of Tokyo. I can follow
up with them if anyone is interested but I have seen nothing further about
the earthquakes either on the MSF intranet or GDACS.

Cheers
Chris D

> Hi Mark,
>
> Maybe Rafael, intense travelers within the Pacific Island would have an
> idea?
>

> On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 4:53 PM, Mark Cupitt <markcupitt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The Solomon Islands has been experiencing a whole series of Earthquakes
>> on the South Solomon Trench in the past 24 Hours
>>
>> A Visualization of the Earthquakes over OSM can be seen at
>>

>> http://disasternet.org/disasters/Solomons-2014-04-13-Earthquake/Solomons-2014-04-13.jpg
>>
>> At least two of the earthquakes have been over magnitude 7.4. The
>> epicenter is South East of Honiara, Guadalcanal, The Capital, approx  300
>> km. The closest Island is Makira which is relatively close to the
>> epicenters.
>>
>> Does HOT have any contacts who work in that area to see if there is any
>> serious damage?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Mark Cupitt
>>
>> "If we change the world, let it bear the mark of our intelligence"
>>
>> See me on LinkedIn <http://ph.linkedin.com/in/markcupitt>
>>
>> *See me on StackExchange
>> <http://gis.stackexchange.com/users/17846/mark-c>*
>>

>> ===============================================================================================
>> The contents of this email are intended only for the individual(s) to
>> whom it is addressed and may contain
>> confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended
>> recipient, you must not disclose, copy, distribute,
>> or use the contents of this email. If you have received this email in
>> error, please notify the sender immediately and
>> delete the email and any attachments.

Chris Daley
In Indonesia

e: chebizarro at gmail.com
m: +6281211686448
s: chebizarro
tw: chebizarro

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist
the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mencken