[HOT] Valparaíso, Chile Fires Response / Respuesta a Fuegos en Valparaíso, Chile

Andrew Buck andrew.r.buck at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 22:03:35 UTC 2014

Here is a map showing some early results from the OSM task manager
jobs to trace the buildings and a polygon I made by tracing an image
of the burn area posted online.  The red buildings are ones which are
in the area burned by the fire and the yellow ones are ones which are
on steep slopes.

http://imgur.com/mGTA7We

Thanks to everyone who took part in tracing all the roads and
buildings in the task manager jobs so far (there is still a bit more
to do on the eastern one but they are nearly done).

It would be good to also try to trace the rest of the streams in these
areas as flash flooding and landslides could cause problems in the
future due to the lack of vegetation causing increased soil erosion.

We will continue to monitor the situation for new developments and
continue improving the map, but the bulk of the mapping that needs to
be done is now complete.  The LandSat 8 satellite should make a pass
over the city on the 22nd of April, so when it does we can get a
detailed tracing of area burned by the fire and update the landuse in
the area accordingly.

Also, as a final aside, someone should start a page on the wiki for
this HMP if there has not already been one.  My suggestion would be to
copy the page for the West Africa Ebola Response and then just delete
the text portion of the content but leave the basic pieces there.

- -AndrewBuck