[HOT] Why use OpenStreetMap and not other maps in disaster situations?

Nirab Pudasaini developer.nirab at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 05:37:45 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 4:53 PM, Mark Cupitt <markcupitt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Sazal
>
> I'm going to jump in first with my two cents worth, bullet points below:
>
> 1. Dynamic - The map grows in real time based on input form real people
> 2. World Wide - The map covers the whole world

              I don't think that this is quite true. The coverage needs to
be significantly improved in many developing countries. I however think
that achieving world wide coverage is doable.

> 3. Free - There is no charge for any use of the map in any situation
> 4. Availability - It is available to Everyone, regardless of what they
> want to do with it.
> 5. Responsive - The map can be adjusted to meet the challenges of a
> specific situation
> 6. Longevity - Once work is done and the map updated, it is there forever
> for others to use in future disasters and enjoy. The work is done once. In
> other words, the map is "Alive"
>
> I am sure others will have a lot of other excellent points!
>
> Thank you for asking an excellent question!
>

> Regards
>
> Mark Cupitt
>
> "If we change the world, let it bear the mark of our intelligence"
>
> See me on Open StreetMap <https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Mark_Cupitt>
>
> See me on LinkedIn <http://ph.linkedin.com/in/markcupitt>
>

> *See me on StackExchange <http://gis.stackexchange.com/users/17846/mark-c>*
>

> ===============================================================================================
> The contents of this email are intended only for the individual(s) to whom
> it is addressed and may contain
> confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended
> recipient, you must not disclose, copy, distribute,
> or use the contents of this email. If you have received this email in
> error, please notify the sender immediately and
> delete the email and any attachments.
> ===============================================================================================
>

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Sazal Sthapit <sazalsthapit at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am Sazal Sthapit from Kathmandu Living Labs. I am an active member of
>> OSM-Nepal community.
>>
>> Last week, we had a discussion with few people from Nepal’s Disaster
>> Community. We were asked one specific question, “Why should we choose
>> OpenStreetMap over any other maps in disaster situations?”
>>
>> While I do have some idea to answer this question in bits and pieces, I
>> was wondering if we could come up with specific advantages and
>> disadvantages of using OpenStreetMap over other maps.
>>
>> Sazal

I think that points  Nicholas and Mark have made are excellent.

One thing that have been missed is that the data in OSM can be made offline
which would make perfect sense in disaster situation while communication
might be disrupted.