[HOT] GNS name merging discussion thread

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 15:28:15 UTC 2014

On 8/17/2014 10:34 AM, Andrew Buck wrote:
> For these I have just been making sure it gets in as an alternate name
> and not been putting a fixme on them.  The spelling of these names is
> not generally fixed, and the names seem to be fairly fluid over time.
>   Without local knowledge to know which one is currently (or most
> widely) in use, we can't do any better than make sure we list all of
> the options.
>
> - -AndrewBuck

Perfect, that is what I am going to do too then.

I am leaning toward using the GNS/JOG name as I just ran into a
situation where the same name (no source listed) was on the OSM for 3
different settlements 10km apart, but the name from GNS and on JOG was
unique for each of the 3 so I went with the GNS/JOG names for each and
put the existing name as an alt with a note.