[HOT] Mapping Africa's National Parks, Game Reserves and Nature Reserves

John White jwpwhite at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 17:43:53 UTC 2014

Hi All
We have made good progress in identifying the priority protected areas in Africa (National Parks, Game Reserves etc.). You can view the list here: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_African_National_Parks_and_Reserves

These protected areas were selected and prioritised as follows:
Based on protected areas that are commonly recognised as the top National Parks, Game Reserves etc. to visit in Africa.
From this list priority has been given to those protected areas that receive the most annual visitors.

Priority Protected Areas to start mapping first:
Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Serengeti National Park
Amboseli National Park
Etosha National Park
Moremi Game Reserve
South Luangwa National Park
Volcanoes National Park

Next steps:
Review the list of priority protected areas and add any protected areas that may have been overlooked
Then we need someone with HOT admin access to setup the job. Any takers?
Regards
John

> On 29 September 2014 at 21:24, Mikel Maron <mikel_maron at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi John
>
> I think this is an exciting initiative. It's not an urgent humanitarian response that is often HOT's focus, but it's probably interesting to many of us who work across different parts of Africa; and HOT's tools, like the Tasking Manager, can be useful. There are also various regional and country lists and forums to find other mappers interested.
>
> Someone here, or myself, can get things set up on a tasking manger job. Where, among the several parks listed in the wiki, do you think is a good place to start? Have you checked for imagery coverage over the parks?
>
> And what kind of features do you think we can spot well from imagery? Some guidance here would be useful, as it might take a keen eye to distinguish say main tracks through parks vs occasional tracks. What other kinds of features important to wildlife and park infrastructure might we be able to spot?
>
> Do you foresee any connection with people going on safari, or safari tours? Simply GPS tracks are helpful. Even more helpful is on the ground surveying in coordination with remote mapping.
>
> -Mikel

> On Monday, September 29, 2014 2:11 PM, John White <jwpwhite at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi All
> I am coordinating a project to map the protected areas (National Parks, Game Reserves, Nature Reserves etc.) in Africa. Apart from preserving wildlife, Africa's protected areas are an important and sustainable sources of foreign currency, jobs and upliftment in many countries on the continent. Outside of South Africa, protected areas have hardly been mapped on OSM making it very difficult for tourists and travel operators to navigate and review these areas before travelling to them.
>
> I would like for this project 'Mapping Africa's Protected Areas' to be set-up on HOT so that is can receive the attention in really deserves. Is there anyone that is interested and can assist?
>
> I have made a start on mapping some protected areas and tracking their progress: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_African_National_Parks_and_Reserves
>
> Regards
> John White

Regards