[HOT] [talk-ph] Typhoon Hagupit / Ruby Activation

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 11:01:37 UTC 2014

Dear OSM-PH mappers,

[cc: HOT list]

It's been almost a week since we started this activation.
Fortunately, minimal loss to lives were reported (NDRRMC count is 18).
However, the Northern and Eastern Samar was heavily damaged, over 1
million people were affected and economic loss estimate is ~2B Php.

Thanks again to HOT's Activation group especially to Mark Cupitt for
leading this activation.  Once again, the U.S. Department of State’s
Humanitarian Information Unit (HIU) facilitated access to pre-disaster
imagery through the MapGive initiative.

We received tremendous support from many volunteers [1], although not
as big as Haiyan/Yolanda, but still, a lot of mapping was done in the
last 7 days (167 mappers).  At its peak, we have 75 mappers in a
single day.  What is interesting is that many of these volunteers
seems to have come from Philippine-based volunteers (top 5 map changes
country breakdown: PH-393,539; Mali-912; unknown-727; Bahamas-102;
Liberia-54).  A good indication of progress with our local advocacy
efforts during the year.

Due to minimal international media coverage, it is likely that remote
mapping support from international mappers will decline in the coming
days.  However, the response is not yet over, the American Red Cross
(ARC) and International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent
Societies (IFRC) continues to use our map to support on the ground
initiatives within their area of operation, Nick Brown's YPDR team is
on their way to Eastern Samar and OSM is their basemap, as well as
many UN agencies through UNOSAT [2].  Also last night, we were able to
contact friends from Leyte and Northern Samar. Some of them are are
also coordinating LGU response. Specifically, Northern Samar's PPDO
requested we continue to update the maps within the province.  All
tasks are published in the wiki coordination page [3].

Aside from the published tasks, another important mapping is the
proper geolocation of settlements. For those familiar with the area,
please go over the town/city placenames check if these were properly
located.

Thanks!

[0] http://mapgive.state.gov/
[1] http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/osm-changesets?comment=ruby#9/12.0930/124.8610