[HOT] Mikel Maron stepping down from the Board

Jaakko Helleranta / Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) jaakko.helleranta at hotosm.org
Thu Dec 18 13:54:53 UTC 2014

Dear all,

The approaching year's end and the beginning of a new one marks also a
turning of page for the HOT Board as our co-founder and long time board
president Mikel Maron has resigned from the board. The remaining board
acknowledged his resignation in our meeting on Tuesday.

Mikel resigned after an ethics review of his role as a Presidential
Innovation Fellowship (1) found potential for conflict of interest with his
role on the HOT Board that could potentially benefit or be perceived to
benefit HOT unduly. The review process took a bit longer than expected
because of the open source nature of HOT's work.

With this change we have lost an excellent resource on the board but the
good is that Mikel will continue with his fellowship advancing the use of
OpenStreetMap in broader contexts. He is also planning to continue to be an
active member of HOT and continue to participate in the activites that he
has been involved with outside of the board responsibilities.

We are sorry to see Mikel leave the board and personally as well as on
behalf of the rest of the board I want to thank him for his extensive
service in creating and building HOT over the years.

After acknowledging Mikel's resignation the (remaining) board discussed
possible actions needed after this. I also discussed the matter with the
voting members chair Russ Deffner. Both the board and Russ and I came to
the conclusion that given the approaching Annual Meeting of the voting
members in March there is no material beneft in electing a fill-in member
for the board for the barely three months. Russ and I had already discussed
before this resignation was known that we should rather prepare to have
solid annual meeting with appropriately set election council, etc.

If you have any questions particular to this change please feel welcome to
contact me or the Board.

With best regards on behalf of the board,
-Jaakko

(1)
http://hot.openstreetmap.org/updates/2014-09-15_mikel_maron_chosen_as_a_presidential_innovation_fellow