[HOT] HOT #777 (East Cameroon) feature identification: residential or farmyard?

Andrew Buck andrew.r.buck at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 15:55:17 UTC 2014

Just to clarify on the buildings, they should be building=yes, not
residential since we don't know what they are used for.

Regarding the tracks, I think the animal interpretation is correct.
Areas like this often have herds of smallish animals like sheep or
goats.  If the animals were left in one area they would eat too much
of the vegetation, it would all die out, and then the area would be a
desert.  So the herders move them into an area for a short while, let
them nibble on what is there but not enough to kill it, and then move
them on to a new area.  Hence you end up with a sort of "mesh" of main
tracks where they move from one grazing area to another and then a
fanlike pattern where the animals spread out to eat at the grazing
area itself.

I agree that mapping the forested areas (these would be natural=wood I
think) is a good idea.  The water and vegetation in nomadic areas like
this is the real "property".  People move from one area to another so
ownership of the ground does not matter; what does matter is ownership
of the water and grazing rights and these can be fiercely contested,
often resulting in local conflicts.

Keep in mind that the description I have given above generally applies
to areas a bit drier than this (farther north in the sahel) but it
looks like a similar dynamic is playing out here as well.

- -AndrewBuck