[HOT] New(ish) GPX data layer available for mapping - Strava data

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 23:37:55 UTC 2014

Hi Everyone,

Sanderd17 mentioned in irc that there is a very large data set of gps
traces now available for all of OSM to use to help us in our mapping.

I hadn't heard of it, but that doesn't mean anything, I never hear of
anything :)

But on the off chance you are like me and had not heard of it yet, here
is the info:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Strava

I added an image to that page using the strava data in W. Africa and it
came out very interesting to me.

1. It seems to confirm pretty good image alignment for existing map data.

2. It seems to show roads/paths that we cannot see in the Bing 2012
imagery. I almost think we could map from this data, but I stress
almost. But if I was trying to follow a road that the imagery only
partially showed, and this data was available, I would consult it for sure.

3. Some of those roads we can't see in the imagery go right through
bodies of water(!?) I do not know if that is a data error or a seasonal
issue.

Anyway, just another much appreciated tool for us to use. Thank you
again sanderd17.

Cheers,
Blake