[HOT] Fwd: Any good HOT hacks wanted

Jaakko Helleranta.com jaakko at helleranta.com
Tue Feb 4 19:17:23 UTC 2014

This might not be an ideal hackathon idea but a task on my list of things
I'd like to get done to boost OSM / HOT activities in Nicaragua and that
could use some (more) tech help with:

I have downloaded the old NGA 50k topo maps for (almost) all of Nicaragua
(that is, all that were available from the utex library), over 200 of them.
And then we have Nicaragua, which is widely unmapped -- and with a few
exceptions undermapped  even in areas where some mapping has been done.
Nicaragua is also a place with a lot of humanitarian and economic
development activities both because of it's economic level (2nd poorest in
the Western hemisphere) as well as due to its proneness to natural
catastrophes (storms, volcanoes and earth quakes).
We also have a somewhat nascent OSM community here but at the same time a
strong FLOSS community and good things going.

It would be superb if we could get the topomaps into a single WMS/TMS layer
for tracing so we could get a nice systematic national OSM "base coverage"
with these maps.
A national WMS/TMS layer would provide an excellent project for local
mappers to get going in mapping their country -- and learning OSM and
tracing while at it.

I've cc'd Pekka Sarkola here (not sure if he's subscribed to hot@) as he
has already helped a bit in manipulating the original maps (which turned
out to be geo-PDFs). Pekka's work has resulted in a stack of geo-TIFFs --
that seem to be pretty well aligned (georeferenced).

So, at the end: This is an open call for anyone -- maybe someone in the
hackathon? -- to help out in creating a (highly preferably single) WMS or
TMS layer of the 200+ NGA topo maps of Nicaragua (which are available in
both the original geo-PDFs as well as the CUT/exported geo-TIFFs). I've
heard that it might be "pretty easy" to do this with Geoserver(?) or some
other readily available tool but my tech skills are still limited even
though I'm hoping to learn more.

Any (additional) help would be much appreciated!

Cheers from Managua,
-Jaakko

--
jaakko at helleranta.com * Skype: jhelleranta * Mobile: +505-8845-3391 (Nicaragua)