[HOT] UK Flooding

Fran Boon francisboon at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 13:08:47 UTC 2014

On 12 February 2014 12:53, jonathan <jonathan at bigfatfrog67.me> wrote:
> Yes the underlying maps are very good but what needs mapping are the
> highways that are now unpassable, or only if you've got a 4x4 or Tractor and
> what areas the water is covering.  Just like any HOT activation this is
> invaluable data to relief workers or in the case of the UK to the population
> themselves who have ready access to mobile internet.

Since this is very temporary in nature, this would seem to be better
done as an overlay?
Although for those people who are updating their routable GPS devices
from the database, they'd want to have this available to them too, so
ideally would be easily merged into that too.
Nice if the overlay could be drawn using the same tools with which
we're all familiar, but I don't believe we really have that
infrastructure easily setup.

This existing map isn't bad, but would be nice to have a single
national one with downloadable GPS:
http://hantscc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/SocialMedia/index.html?appid=5b9e6ed84bc74250aa6d734f04f755d2

Personally I don't think that 'Aid to motorists' navigation' is
significant enough for a HOT activation, although definitely a nice
project which could involve OSM data &/or tools...