[HOT] Interim Report: Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda) Damage Assessment

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 13 13:54:08 UTC 2014

Hi

> We should be careful to make the appropriate analysis and not demotivate the OpenStreetMap community who made
> such a huge effort for this activation.

This report, I believe, is the first thorough investigation ever of OSM data from a disaster activation. That gives us really concrete analysis to digest and learn from. Certainly not everything in a response is within HOT's control, but we need to accept that we can and must improve what we do, and take feedback seriously. That is precisely how HOT has grown from an outrageous idea back in 2005, to an indispensable component of disaster response in 2014.

Our mission is to be effective in disaster response, and that means acknowledging our gaps, even when that might be hard. We made a huge effort, and have gotten tremendous kudos for what we've accomplished for the Haiyan response, and we can be secure in our pride in that. We are also comfortable, strong and motivated to adapt ourselves to well researched critique and analysis.

And i n any case, worth noting that this is the quite positive take away...

"The assessment found that modest investments in technology, business processes and pre-disaster activities could make OSM a strong platform for damage assessment data and analysis in future disasters."

> The Red Cross study makes the assumption that the objective of the OpenStreetMap crowdsourcing was to make detailed
> assesments.
> The Red Cross study points to the fact that in most cases the limitation in damage assesment was the
> imagery that seemed to show undamaged buildings when in reality they had sustained damage.

I'm not sure if this assumption is made or not, but I agree that the report is not totally clear on the context and objective in which HOT was engaged in damage assessment. A single sentence or two on that context in the executive summary could help. As well, inclusion of the points on imagery in the executive summary would be more representative of the conclusions.

Btw, the report is in GitHub :) Not sure if ARC wants to respond to pull requests, but very possible to make fine tuned suggestions to there https://github.com/AmericanRedCross/OSM-Assessment

Cheers
-Mikel

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

On Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:25 PM, Pierre Béland <pierzenh at yahoo.fr> wrote:

Hi Robert,

>In the early days after Typhoon Haiyan, there were  estimations of 10,000
dead, severe damages and no communications with various remote areas. The
humanitarian community as a whole needed even  rough estimates of the extent and the
 distribution of the damages.

>The Coordination group where OCHA , US Red Cross and HOT participated right from the beginning of this intervention thought that OpenStreetMap should contribute to make Damage assesments. The objective was to make these assesments from Satellite imagery as soon as these would be available.
>
>The Red Cross study makes the assumption that the objective of the OpenStreetMap crowdsourcing was to make detailed assesments. But you can only make rough assesments from Satellite imagery especially when atmospheric conditions restrict the quality of the images provided. And a simple classification was used (ie. damaged or destroyed).  UAV's (drones) or Aerial oblique imageries could have been used to make detailed assesments. But this was not part of the established workflow of the humanitarian community before Haiyan and such images were not available to make detailed assesments.
>
>Once such crisis are ended,
 we should surely analyze our actions and plan collectively for better interventions in the future. But we should avoid to have wrong conclusions about actions taken during this crisis.

>The way the report is written, it gives the impression that imprecision in evaluation of assesment is due to the use of the OpenStreetMap community.  The humanitarian community as a whole did not build before this event the capacity to react rapidly, deploy teams and provide detailed post-disaster imagery in other ways then through Satellite.
>
>In the context of this emergency and with the imagery provided, would professionnals
 specialized in damage assesment have scored significantly better? Due to the limits of such assesments in the operational context of this operation, analysis should be based on the capacity to identify zones of high damages and not focus on individual houses. To my point of view, the objective of that operation following the severed damages after Typhoon Haiyan was to give an early warning to identify zones and not individual houses. This would need oblique imagery.

>Thinking about a better workflow in the context of such disasters,  the capacity to have more flexibility and deploy rapidly teams when necessary to obtain either UAV imagery (drone) or aerial
 oblique imagery would surely give a different response, this either with the OpenStreetMap community or professionnals of damage assesment.

>We surely have a workflow to build and establish the role and
 limits of assesments done with aerial imagery in the context of such emergency operations.

>We should be careful to make the appropriate analysis and not demotivate
 the OpenStreetMap community who made such a huge effort for this
activation.

>The Red Cross study points to the fact that in most cases the limitation in damage assesment was the imagery
that seemed to show undamaged buildings when in reality they had
sustained damage. But this is not reflected in the Executive summary and in  the Conclusion of the study. This study should be completed with a better analysis of the type of imagery necessary to make better asssesment studies.