[HOT] Validating - message being sent

Severin Menard severin.menard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 00:02:22 UTC 2014

Hi Nick,

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 12:36 PM, Nick Allen <nick.allen.54 at gmail.com>wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> Severin (sev_hotosm) commented in an earlier message that validation needs
> to include an overview of a whole area being mapped, and having attempted
> to validate a whole town, I agree with him. The checking of the small
> squares from the Tasking Manager  can only be an early stage, as you don't
> get a realistic view until you zoom out and look at the whole thing - in a
> little square something may look like a footpath partially obscured by
> trees, but when looking at the whole thing it becomes part of a tertiary
> road obscured by trees in just that square.

Great you did this Validation. As announced in the last thread we had on
the Validation topic: I started a wikipage about Validation. May be good to
work collectively on it then move it to LearnOSM?
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Tasking_Manager/Validating_data

> For the past few days I've been sending out messages through OSM to users
> (10 so far) who have contributed to the mapping in
> http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/141#. If possible I've looked at several
> completed squares before sending the message.
>
> The message, with slight variations to suit the circumstances, reads;
>
> *Hi & thank you for helping the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT). *
>
> *I am an experienced mapper (still learning though!), and have looked
> through one (two..?..) of the squares you have completed for task from the
> OSM Tasking manager. You got it right, thanks!*
>
> *If you are a regular contributor to HOT then keep up the good work. *
>
> *If this is one of your first contributions, then thank you & please keep
> up the good work. There are many tasks outstanding in **http://tasks.hotosm.org/
> <http://tasks.hotosm.org/>** , all are for very good causes & it would be
> great if you could keep contributing.*
>
> *http://hot.openstreetmap.org/ <http://hot.openstreetmap.org/>** and **http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team>** will tell
> you more about HOT. You can keep up to date about HOT, or particular areas
> by subscribing to the relevant lists at **https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo
> #hot** for a link to others mapping for HOT, and the page **http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Irc
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Irc>** lists all of the IRC channels
> if you have an interest in a particular area.*
>
> *Keep up the good work & I hope to see more squares completed by you in
> the future.*
>
> *Regards*
>
> *Tallguy"*
>
> I'm intending to continue with this, aiming to;
> a/. Encourage mappers to continue with HOT,

Good idea

>  b/. help to provide a level of confidence & security that partner
> organisations would like to see, &
> c/. help any mapper who obviously needs help.

I use to send ad hoc messages to mostly beginner mappers, when their
mapping could be improved (most of time it is about squaring buildings,
creating easily perfect circles or not mapping blocks but buildings

> We all make errors, and I'm not aiming to nit-pick. If I spot something I
> think should be added, I'm probably just adding it. I have 'invalidated' a
> number of squares, but mainly because they were marked as complete a year
> or so ago, and more recent imagery showing more buildings & paths is now
> available, and this needs adding to OSM - if I've got time I'm doing it
> myself. One square was obviously a technical hitch - had been marked as
> complete, but nothing had been mapped in it.

I also find from time to time some squares that are neither empty nor close
to be and invalidate them

> Although it's very time consuming I'm hoping it will be seen as worthwhile.
>
> I'd like others thoughts on the message I'm sending - I'm not picking out
> particular users, but sending it to everyone who's work I look at. Many
> people receiving the message will be better mappers than me and more
> experienced with HOT, but there are mappers who have not mapped for HOT
> recently, and I'm hoping this may make them think about contributing again.
> I'm not intending to send the same message to a user every time I validate
> one of their squares.
>
> A few things to think about;
> How any validation system should be managed, and by who? Anyone who uses
> the Tasking Manager is going to see this word 'validated', expect something
> to happen, and it may be an idea to put something on the wiki's about it.
> (I'm willing to have a go at the wiki myself, if that would help)

I think receiving messages (validation or invalidation) from the task you

>  When a task is created, is the creator expecting to validate it
> themselves, or ?

I hope not, considering the number of jobs I recently created :)

>  Aid agencies - please comment as to whether this is what you would like.
> Who decides who the validators are, and how?

IMHO I would say we do not need to be too restrictive if beginners do not
validate. The new capacity of visually checking who did what in the TM job
is a real benefit to have a quick control. Creating kind of admin
validators takes time for developers, complicates the process for becoming
a validator and therefore will potentially reduce the number of validators.
I prefer having in mind a list of OSM users I trust and discovering from
time to time new good ones or advising others who did not check all the
validation points. For sure every TM job should link to a shared, document
agreed by the community (the one I just published being just a first draft)