[HOT] Nominations for HOT Chair of the voting members and Board are open

Russell Deffner russell.deffner at hotosm.org
Tue Feb 18 18:59:07 UTC 2014

Jaakko and all,

>From the conversations I have with potential candidates off-line and the
obvious slow progress in nominations; I can tell that we all are taking
serious consideration of the effort and responsibility these positions may
entail during this crucial time in HOT's development.

Therefore, I somewhat reluctantly announce my interest in filling the Chair
of Voting Members position to the community.  Reluctantly because there are
so many talented people in this group that may possibly do a better job than
I, and I truly want the best for this organization.  However, I may have
been responsible for 'resurrecting' this position as I found it amongst the
legal jargon of the Bylaws while assisting to write the HOT Guide,
Membership Code, and Code of Conduct.  This may have allowed me a somewhat
unique opportunity to already have thought about, and discussed, the
potential roles/responsibilities this position should entail with leading
members of this community.

I ask that you consider me a candidate for Chair of Voting Members, and I
will do my best to use this first term to take this position, once lost
amongst the organization's policies due possibly to apparent lack of
utility, into something of beneficial contribution to our organization's
growth.  I also have a few ideas on how this position can gently handle any
potential disciplinary responsibilities which I highly doubt will be much an
issue with this wonderful community!

Thank you,

=Russ

Russell Deffner