[HOT] Update on OSM mapping in South Sudan

Severin MENARD severin.menard at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 01:12:58 UTC 2014

Hi,

Just published a blog
post<http://hot.openstreetmap.org/updates/2014-01-04_hot_monitoring_for_the_current_crisis_in_south_sudan>on
HOT website about this topic. Here is the text:

South Sudan is currently on top of the humanitarian focus if we consider
the number of number of publications over the week in
ReliefWeb<http://reliefweb.int/%20>
.

Since violence raised in the country by the end of December, we started a
HOT Monitoring, to provide baseline data for the humanitarian response.

So far, South Sudan was not a country extensively mapped in OpenStreetMap
(OSM), and a lot of work remain to get the same completeness rate than a
country like Central African Republic (whose situation will be presented in
another post). It will take time to have a consolidated data regarding road
network, residential areas and location names.

Our main target for the moment, as for the Philippines after Haiyan
Typhoon, is to get the most affected cities mapped in OSM, using the HOT
Tasking Manager <http://tasks.hotosm.org/>. Some humanitarian staff working
on the country suggested us additional ones. The objectives, their current
state and download links to get the data in GIS formats are presented in this
OSM Wikipage <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/South_Sudan>. You can
also find a download job covering the whole
country<http://export.hotosm.org/fr/jobs/6322>
.

Bor, in Jeglei State, was the first job to be started and just came to an
end. Thanks to all the OSM mappers (at least 22) that contributed! Bentiu
is still ongoing. Juba (country Capital), Malakal (a state capital) and
Mundri (a county capital) will be the next targets.

For Bor, I used a global validation process I am testing and will document,
not only in order to correct mistakes or add some missing features, but
above all to get a more consolidated result from the contributions of all
the mappers, everyone having different habits of mapping and tagging,
especially regarding the road hierarchy. I applied the Highway Tag
Africa<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Tag_Africa> that
had been discussed and used since the HOT Activation for Mali and has the
advantages to be easy, clear, and adapted to the road networks in Africa,
and actually to the developing countries in general. IMHO, the
resulting map<http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/6.2107/31.5774>
make
the geographical context really easier to understand.

 During the following days, we will continue the remaining tasks and we may
have access to recent imagery to also map the IDP camps. Anyone that would
like to join the mapping is welcomed, as any suggestion or mapping request!

Sincerely,

Severin

Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team