[HOT] Tagging impassable ways

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 02:43:17 UTC 2014

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here at the HOT list, and I'd like to pass one
information along. A few days ago I discovered that OSRM is now
supporting two tags regarding impassable ways by HOT's request. Then I
discovered that HOT encourages the use of the tag impassable=yes
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Damaged_buildings_crisis_mapping).
That brought me back to a discussion I had about tagging of life cycle
tags in OSM months ago
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Comparison_of_life_cycle_concepts).
To make a very long story short, it may be a better idea to tag such
ways by changing the highway=[class] tag into a
damaged:highway=[class] instead impassable=yes or status=impassable.
smoothness=impassable would also work in those cases where the
obstructions affect only wheeled vehicles.

Here's the discussion in the tagging list if you're interested in
participating: http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/Impassable-damaged-and-related-life-cycle-concepts-td5791364.html

Regards,

--
Fernando Trebien
+55 (51) 9962-5409

"The speed of computer chips doubles every 18 months." (Moore's law)
"The speed of software halves every 18 months." (Gates' law)