[HOT] Highway Tag Africa

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Wed Jan 8 20:10:34 UTC 2014

I renamed this [OSM-dev] Renderer issue: highway=service and service=driveway?
to a more pertinent title.

This discussion refers to the wiki page

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Tag_Africa

The recent discussion on the Dev list.
http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/Renderer-issue-highway-service-and-service-driveway-tt5791858.html

For the HOT community to understand about this discussion, some people on the Dev list expressed
incomprehension about the fact we have a distinct page to classify highways in Africa. Suggestion is made to discuss on the Tag discussion list.

I think that it will be more appropriate to discuss this subject on the HOT list were people have decided to adopt the Highway Tag Africa wiki page.

From the Mali Activation in 2013, I made a proposition of highway
classification for Mali.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mali_Highway_tag.

After discussions on the HOT list, it was later decided to
extend to all africa an to rename the page. This schema  is used for various African countries by the HOT community.

User:Dieterdreist has also opened discussion on Talk:Highway_Tag_Africa..  I have invited him to come and discuss on the HOT list.

Below are links to previous discussions on the HOT discussion list about this highway typology.

Rename to Highway Tag Africa
http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/Central-African-Republic-Bangui-taken-over-today-by-the-rebels-td5754545.html

Kenyan or African OSM community?
http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/Kenyan-or-African-OSM-community-td5774556.html

These wiki pages  recommend to use this classification.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Senegal_Highway_tag
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Central_African_Republic

See the link below about a discussion on the Dev-list were people express
incomprehension about the fact we have a distinct page. We are invited
to go on the Tag discussion

http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/Renderer-issue-highway-service-and-service-driveway-tt5791858.html

Pierre