[HOT] Validation queries

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Wed Jan 15 14:39:13 UTC 2014

I Theodin,

It is true that every new crisis mobilizes the contributors. At the same time, there is some work left to contribute in other places. The Philippines crisis revealed how our community is growing and have the capacity to respond rapidly to such major crisis. This was after Democratic Republic of Congo, Mali Activations and various other projects the HOT and OSM community responded to (ie. Madagascar, Indonesia, Philiipines other then Haiyan, North India, etc).  If we add all the projects in 2013, the picture shows a significant progress in the response to the various crisis.

At the same time, this is true that we should take care the other crisis were the media spotlights are not. Local communities, university students could take the initiative to organize groups and take care of various other areas that need some care with mapping, validation, road classification, etc.

I invite the contributors to look at the Task Manager jobs for South Sudan and Central African Republic where the humanitarians need some support from the mapping community.  In Norh of Mal, there is reconstruction after last year civil war and some TM jobs need some care since there are still large areas not covered. Democratic Republic of Congo is an other area where we plan to add some mapping while new images will come.

Pierre