[HOT] Introduction

Severin Menard severin.menard at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 23:09:27 UTC 2014

Hi Alexander,

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Alexander W. Janssen <
alexander.janssen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 10:43 AM, Dan S <danstowell+osm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Alex,
>
> Hi Dan!
>
> > 1) Yes, sometimes it's frustratingly difficult with low-res imagery to
> > know what you can contribute. I would say DEFINITELY carry on mapping
> > those big waterways you mention. In my experience, when we're trying
> > to map an unmapped area, having those landmarks in OSM's database
> > (waterways, major roads, residential areas) really helps future
> > mappers to have points of reference, even if they are approximate and
> > need refining later.
>
> OK, will continue with that.
>
> > 2) Re farmlands and forests: I sometimes draw these in, but not often.
> > I agree with you that it seems helpful to give a rough picture of the
> > landscape to expect, BUT on the other hand, I think having these
> > polygons all over can sometimes make the more important jobs harder:
> > jobs such as checking that every single building has been captured.
> > And since these landuse polygons are pretty much never requested in
> > the tasks (apart from landuse=residential which is often a crucial
> > first step), it seems the locals and the aid organisations don't
> > particularly need them. So I would suggest don't spend much time on
> > those.
>
> Ah, allright. Well, I prioritize anyway; if I'm in the mood I'll just
> draw it anyway :-)

I would say it depends on the situation. Eg in Khartoum (
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=12/15.7493/32.5389) I found interesting
to add the residential areas as well as the brownfields and farmlands
around or inside. Brown-fields and farmlands rather than something left
blank also say we did not miss a residential area. In Central African
Republic, basically the residential areas are surrounded by farmlands then
forest. Would be interesting to add the cultivated areas, but maybe through
a remote sensing analysis as the extent will vary from a year to another
and do not need to be extremely precise.