[HOT] Introduction

Alexander W. Janssen alexander.janssen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 07:02:54 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 1:09 AM, Severin Menard <severin.menard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Alexander,
>

> On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Alexander W. Janssen
> <alexander.janssen at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 10:43 AM, Dan S <danstowell+osm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi Alex,
>>
>> Hi Dan!
>>
>> > 1) Yes, sometimes it's frustratingly difficult with low-res imagery to
>> > know what you can contribute. I would say DEFINITELY carry on mapping
>> > those big waterways you mention. In my experience, when we're trying
>> > to map an unmapped area, having those landmarks in OSM's database
>> > (waterways, major roads, residential areas) really helps future
>> > mappers to have points of reference, even if they are approximate and
>> > need refining later.
>>
>> OK, will continue with that.
>>
>> > 2) Re farmlands and forests: I sometimes draw these in, but not often.
>> > I agree with you that it seems helpful to give a rough picture of the
>> > landscape to expect, BUT on the other hand, I think having these
>> > polygons all over can sometimes make the more important jobs harder:
>> > jobs such as checking that every single building has been captured.
>> > And since these landuse polygons are pretty much never requested in
>> > the tasks (apart from landuse=residential which is often a crucial
>> > first step), it seems the locals and the aid organisations don't
>> > particularly need them. So I would suggest don't spend much time on
>> > those.
>>
>> Ah, allright. Well, I prioritize anyway; if I'm in the mood I'll just
>> draw it anyway :-)
>
> I would say it depends on the situation. Eg in Khartoum
> (http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=12/15.7493/32.5389) I found interesting
> to add the residential areas as well as the brownfields and farmlands around
> or inside. Brown-fields and farmlands rather than something left blank also
> say we did not miss a residential area.

Good point. The green- and brownfield topic is interesting. I'm just
comited to Sierra Leone tasks and I see a lot of areas which seem to
be recently fire cleared. Is there a tag for that or should we assume
that this is now "greenfield" as it will be either residential or
farmland later?

Alex.

--
The best thing about procrastinating is you can do it NOW and ANYTIME.