[HOT] eHealth Africa places import

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 19:34:53 UTC 2014

Hi, Séverin:

The real numbers in terms of wards, LGA's and residential areas for
these imports are actually more modest (the numbers I had were OSM
objects (nodes, ways and relations). I've upgraded the wiki [1] with
the numbers of total wards (2,788) and LGA's (773) for the two
boundaries imports, and the total number of imported residential
areas: 10,968, of which 9,430 are simple polygons and the rest (1,538)
are multipolygons.

All these imports are quite massive anyway, and involve different
kinds of data, all of them of key importance from the
humanitarian/development point of view: up to now, administrative
boundaries, residential areas, health facilities and, already under
discussion in the imports list, the names of
villages/towns/cities/suburbs.

Only health facilities there were around 4,500 in the eHealth Africa
database the last time I checked, but they expect to have from 10,000
to 12,000 when all work is done in the 10 Northern Nigeria target
states [2]. Other interesting kinds of objects could be imported too,
like schools, water facilies, etc.

As far as I know, the only imports in Nigeria previous to the eHealth
Africa ones were the Maplibrary boundaries (only quite bad quality
state boundaries and LGA boundaries for only 3 states or so) and the
2009 GNS data import [3], that amounted 47,812 nodes (and that it's
clear now that it shouldn't have been done in the first place). Only
the eHealth Africa Residential Areas import consists of 387,163 nodes,
that is 8 times more than the GNS import.

I'm really not aware of any bigger data import in any developing
country so far, but the most important for me is, in this context, to
make the imports the best possible quality and the most meaningful for
the organizations working in the humanitarian and development fields.
And I honestly think they are going in the right way.

Apart from continuing with these imports, there is the challenge of
building a strong OSM community in Nigeria, and there is still,
unfortunately, a long way to go.

Cheers,

Rafael.

[1]
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Nigeria#eHealth_Africa_Foundation_database_imports
[2] https://hackpad.com/eHealth-Data-Import-hKeQZhVqQeR
[3] https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/2529746

On 11/07/14 11:54, Severin Menard wrote:
> Wow, almost 100,000 wards, 50,000 states boundaries, +400,000
> residential areas and last but not least +1,000 health facilities!
> Would it not be the largest import ever made in OSM in a
> developing country? Does someone have other examples to share?
>
> Sincerely,
>

> Severin
>

> On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 8:00 PM, Rafael Avila Coya
> <ravilacoya at gmail.com <mailto:ravilacoya at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi, Séverin:
>
> Here you are:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Nigeria#eHealth_Africa_Foundation_database_imports