[HOT] Requesting a Task for mapping forest tracks in Portugal

Russell Deffner russell.deffner at hotosm.org
Mon Jul 14 17:40:51 UTC 2014

Hello Marcos and Severin,

It has always been my working theory that a detailed OSM map, especially as Marcos explained – containing the tracks, paths, etc. that are not commonly included in other maps – directly benefits the first responders/firefighters the most.  It has been my personal experience that what was looking like a river crossing to a very steep climb was alleviated only when a local resident stopped to tell us that there was a track through private property that would get us much closer to the fire from the top of the hill; just had to drive a very roundabout way to get up there.  This was also after we spent a good fifteen to twenty minutes staring up the hill watching the fire burn and contemplating our plan of action using the standard paper maps provided by the county; if only at the time had I known about OSM (this was about 7-8 years ago) and the area been well mapped we could have saved quite a lot of time.

Therefor I am very happy to hear about your effort to map ahead of an actual fire Marcos.  I did organize mapping efforts last summer when we had a really active (and destructive) season, you can view the documentation here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2013_Colorado_Wildfire_Season;  I reached out to the Incident Command team on the Black Forest fire, but was given a bit of runaround and never was able to discover if they utilized the data or not.  It’s also been a general struggle in the US to get the word out and convince authorities to look at OSM as a source since there is so much ‘authoritative’ data in the public domain; but this is changing.  It was my intent to create some ‘advocacy’ documentation, but alas – life got in the way and that project was dropped from the to-do list.  I hope your initiative is a success and would gladly talk more about fires and OSM if you would like.

Happy Mapping,

=Russ

Russell Deffner

 <mailto:Russell.Deffner at hotosm.org> Russell.Deffner at hotosm.org