[HOT] Boosting LearnOSM

Nick Allen nick.allen.54 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 07:39:32 UTC 2014

Hi,

I agree that more is needed. Based upon the problems I was finding when
validating, I've started to produce a guide
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Tallguy/Thoughts_%26_ideas/Beginners_guide
but it is at an early stage, and requires updating now that TM2 is out.
I feel that there is a gap between 'how to map', and what you actually
need to do to start to map for HOT. If we can produce a guide that
covers how to map your first square showing how to avoid the common
mistakes, maybe we can stop most of them.

http://mapgive.state.gov/ <http://mapgive.state.gov/> have a very good
guide to mapping with iD

As a temporary thing, I've linked both off of
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Tasking_Manager but the main
wiki on the Tasking manager needs updating now we have TM2.

My initial thought, is that TM2's release gives the perfect time to
update the wiki. The wiki is really under the wrong heading - it's main
name is 'OSM_Tasking_Manager, but it deals with a number of things
including JOSM offsets & validating.

It would be good if there was some discussion & a consensus as to what
goes where, and how we are going to get it there.

Regards

Nick (Tallguy)

On 19/07/14 02:05, Kate Chapman wrote:
> Hi Rafael,
>
> Sounds like a great idea. The InaSAFE project uses Transifex not just
> for translating the software but also for translating the
> documentation. The one issue in mind holding back the switch over is
> that LearnOSM is in many languages now, so I would see the steps as
> follows.
>
> 1. Update the English documentation and get it into Transifex.
> 2. Retranslate documentation from other languages.
>
> This would be painful certainly the first time, but then in the future
> if the documentation was updated on the sections that were changed
> would show up as in need of translation. Is that the method you see?
>
> Some of the HOT Indonesia team can speak to the issues with
> translating documentation in Transifex. The biggest issue I think
> (correct me if I'm wrong team) is if the "master" documentation
> language has a lot of tweaks. Meaning it works best if there is a
> "release" of the documentation and then the translations start.
>
> Best,
>
> -Kate
>

> On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 5:55 PM, Rafael Avila Coya
> <ravilacoya at gmail.com <mailto:ravilacoya at gmail.com>> wrote:

Nick

Volunteer 'Tallguy' for
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team

http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Tallguy

Treasurer, website & Bonus Ball admin for
http://www.6thswanleyscouts.org.uk/ (treasurer at 6thswanleyscouts.org.uk
<mailto:treasurer at 6thswanleyscouts.org.uk>)