[HOT] Boosting LearnOSM

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 02:34:59 UTC 2014

Hi, Kate:

On 19/07/14 03:05, Kate Chapman wrote:
> Hi Rafael,
>
> Sounds like a great idea. The InaSAFE project uses Transifex not
> just for translating the software but also for translating the
> documentation. The one issue in mind holding back the switch over
> is that LearnOSM is in many languages now, so I would see the steps
> as follows.
>
> 1. Update the English documentation and get it into Transifex. 2.
> Retranslate documentation from other languages.
>
> This would be painful certainly the first time, but then in the
> future if the documentation was updated on the sections that were
> changed would show up as in need of translation. Is that the method
> you see?

Exactly. This is what I see as the best option.

As for the retranslation, I don't see it as so painful (except, maybe,
for the French translation, that is very advanced already). In fact,
most of the translations are quite outdated, so they need lots of
modifications anyway. And most of the text can be reused without a
change or almost (this from my experience), so it would be a matter of
copy&paste most of the time. And surely, we would have to do it only once.

> Some of the HOT Indonesia team can speak to the issues with
> translating documentation in Transifex. The biggest issue I think
> (correct me if I'm wrong team) is if the "master" documentation
> language has a lot of tweaks. Meaning it works best if there is a
> "release" of the documentation and then the translations start.

Yeah. That's a good point. I see an easy solution for that: to release
a new version every X months, or not before X months since the last
one (X to be discussed). Planning with time, we could even make the
new version available in several languages at the same time as English.

Cheers,

Rafael.