[HOT] Typhoon Yolanda/Haiyan Activation Wrap-up

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Tue May 6 09:52:58 UTC 2014

Dear everyone,

It's been almost half a year since we activated for the Typhoon
Yolanda/Haiyan.  Since then,
I'm sure you are aware of the tremendous response we received both
from remote mappers and responders on the ground.

Over 4 million map changes from ~1,500 contributors.  We supported
local and international humanitarian groups.  Locally, I can say that
OSM became the de-facto resource for updated geographic data.  Various
government agencies (including the national mapping agency) are now
taking a second look at the wealth of data we created.  Along the way,
we were able to refine our coordination protocols which I hope became
useful in the successive response we are currently supporting
worldwide.

Let me thank everyone who supported this response, from the remote
mappers, humanitarian agencies who used our data, image providers,
organizers of numerous mapathons, the people who shared the appeal to
social and mainstream media and, the core HOT volunteers (especially
Andrew, Pierre, JGC and many others) who provided both technical
guidance and moral support during the height of the activation.

If you view the history tab in osm.org right now, you will notice that
local volunteers (who were victims themselves) are working on updating
the map.  This will be a big task for us in the OSM-PH community, but
slowly, we are taking on the challenge to keep the map up to date.

Remote mapping has dwindled the past few months and I would like to
formally declare (through this email, since I don't know the
"protocol") that we are wrapping-up this activation. Thank you again
for all your help.

There will be a little bit of clean-up such as removing non-essential
data (i.e. tasking manager relations used in creating tasks).  If
anyone has a need for this kind of data to remain in the DB, let us
know.

Thanks again, please update the wiki [0] if there are things we missed
during the activation.  Also, if there are reports/assessment on the
way we responded please add them to the wiki as well.

[0] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Typhoon_Haiyan

--
cheers,
maning