[HOT] London HOT Congo Mapathon, reflection

nicolas chavent nicolas.chavent at gmail.com
Thu May 8 18:01:00 UTC 2014

Hi Dan, Nick, Harry, Jorieke and all,

Thanks a lot for sharing these thoughts over the mapathon and the process
through emails to the list and through this really nice piece of blogging
(congrats Harry!).

>From a distant perspective (I direly wished I had been a Londoner this last
3-May!), I think we need to highlight well also what Jorieke called the
"whole Lubumbashi process" as well as the remote mapping campaigns
previously lead by Pierre and Claire in Eastern DRC which materialized into
active folks international and local active in OSM from DRC (Kinshasa and
Lubumbashi).

The emerging stand alone local OSM group in Lubumbashi has been
inspirational as well for remote mappers and local OSM groups (specifically
from Africa). Reading over emails, twitter, FB that Marc and John from OSM
Luubumbashi organized to keep up the field work prior the mapathon and then
took part in it by training new individuals from the city on 3-May is an
encouraging signal sent about a willingness to create sustainable,
autonomous and long-standing OSM capacities in the area. This is I think a
strong driver.

I am really interested into reading from Shoaib, Ivan and Jorieke as well
as from OSM_L and OSM RDC folks about the whole Lubumbashi process as well
as ways to further the experience through imagery tracing, field papers
campaigns and field work.

Let's keep running / mapping RDC after the London mapathon.

Excellent evening,
Nico

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 5:47 PM, Jorieke Vyncke <jorieke.vyncke at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Nice blog post Harry!
>
> And thanks a lot for these good feedback Dan and Nick. I was also really
> happy to have you two there! And of course all the others too, because yes,
> for me the event was certainly a succes!
>
> If others have more feedback, always welcome. Not only on the London
> mappathon, but on whole the Lubumbashi process. So we can take this with us
> in a kind of lessons learned we (Ivan, Shoaib and me) are writing now and
> will of course share with you later.
>
> Harry I would also love to talk some more to you or to other people of the
> technical working group about some issues with the Field Papers and OsmAnd.
>
> All the best, and once again a big thank you to everybody!
> And... to be continued this Lubumbashi story...
>
> Jorieke

> Blogged:
>> http://hot.openstreetmap.org/updates/2014-05-08_london_hot_congo_mapathon
>>
>> > Before that I will be writing a blog post about the event.
>> > I also promised a blog post for the ODI (hosts)
>> > Blogs coming soon!

Nicolas Chavent
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
http://hot.openstreetmap.org/