[HOT] Imagery Coordination

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Thu May 15 10:54:59 UTC 2014

Hi everybody

HOT is in a better and better place when it comes to imagery. There are more options than ever. We have State HIU Imagery to the Crowd, MapBox Satellite, Bing of course, as well as ways to request directly from imagery companies like Astrium. And that's driven by the amazing work we all do, turning that imagery into OpenStreetMap with breathtaking speed and quality, to serve humanitarian response.

But honestly, we've struggled a bit to coordinate these beautiful resources. Imagery requests have lots of detailed questions that need answering, and it's important to know who is working of serving those requests. There's a real need to understand the capabilities and motivations of all involved. As well, a need to properly recognize the contribution imagery makes to our responses.

This topic has been discussed a few times over the past months, among the coordinators of recent activations, here on the hot@ list, on the requirements and options for coordination tools  (https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/2014-April/004980.html), and last week among a group of organizations involved in fulfilling imagery requests. These have been really useful, to get a full picture of the imagery situation, and common needs have boiled down to the following:

* Set up a simple imagery coordination request tool, styled as public calls for imagery to be fulfilled. There are a couple options, including this tool from State HIU https://github.com/state-hiu/image_request. Drazen and the Tech WG are looking into it.

* Maintain a consistent backchannel, for lightweight coordination around public calls for imagery. Discussion with providers before requests are fulfilled need privacy, before they results can be shared publicly

* HOT should maintain a consistent liaison for questions on imagery requests. How this works is probably a good question for the Activation WG to take up.

Appreciate everyone who's making contributions towards a solid method here, and look forward to talking more about it in the various working groups.

Best
Mikel

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron