[HOT] Micromappers feeding into OSM

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Wed May 21 22:15:20 UTC 2014

Hi Patrick

For the various humanitarian crisis, mapping information is an essential input. The OpenStreetMap base map that is developped rapidly by the OSM community responding remotely from around the world. The map is used by various UN agencies and humanitarian organizations. They need the map to be completed with information about infrastructures. For each activation, we look at solutions to progress and have various humanitarian actors input data into the OSM database. At the same time, various infrastructure data are collected by various actors but not shared with others.

With the smartphones, there are new possibilities to collect data from the field and some progress have been made last year. Impact maps also offer a potential that the Humanitarian organizations, digital humanitarians and disaster-affected communities collect such data. But the way this is collected with the impact tools, this is not shared with all the other actors and often lost once the crisis is ending.

The question is how to share such information, to build an ecosystem using the OSM database to share this data. To import these informations into the OSM database to share with all the humanitarian organizations and affected communities, we need to assure that the process of gathering this data is not contaminated by the process of geolocating the data. We have to assure that no proprietary information or tools are used.  In platforms such as the Micromappers, we need to know how the data is geolocated. If proprietary tools or data such as Google Map are used, it would be necessary to revise the process of geolocating the data to assure that the license will be compatible with OpenStreetMap.

We showed with the Haiyan Typhoon and other humanitarian activations that the OpenStreetMap community has the capacity to provide rapidly the base map for major crisis. To progress with completing the map with essential informations about infrastructures, we need to assure that all the humanitarian actors can collaborate to revise the base map with informations about the infrastructures.
I hope that we will find ways to progress in this direction.

Pierre