[HOT] Are there any detailed reports or research on the utilization of HOT maps on the ground?

Kate Chapman kate.chapman at hotosm.org
Sat Nov 1 01:25:16 UTC 2014

Hi Gideon,

Certainly it helps to have examples. There are a couple reports that might
be of interest from the World Bank and the 2nd one is the World Bank and
University College London.

Open Data for Resilience Initiative: Field Guide:
https://www.gfdrr.org/ODRIFG
Crowdsourcing Geographic Information Use in Government:
http://crowdgov.wordpress.com/report/

Best,

-Kate

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 7:39 PM, Blake Girardot <bgirardot at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am not really sure what you are saying when you say: "Is there more than
> "The maps helped a lot!""
>
> I think feedback like that from the groups that use the data we generate
> are very convincing that the mapping we do helps on the ground. Further,
> for me it is very informative that these same humanitarian groups do ask
> the HOT specifically to do mapping for them. I do not think they would ask
> us if they did not feel it helped them.
>
> Also, there is a somewhat different scope of the HOT mapping that is about
> empowering local communities outside of immediate crises.
>
> Best wishes,
> Blake
>

> On 10/31/2014 1:25 PM, Gideon Hartmann wrote:
>
>> Hey mappers,
>>
>> whenever I tell friends about the HOT projects, I get a lot of sceptic
>> are even voices saying it is much more something to keep mappers
>> occupied than actual help.
>> If I go deeper into online research on the impact of HOT, I can find
>> some opinions here and there, but these are mostly very vague and based
>> on few people's opinions.
>> Is there more than "The maps helped a lot!" or "The maps could help in
>> case xxx..." anywhere?
>> Are there any quantitative data sets or any scientifically executed
>> interviews?
>>
>> Keep mapping!

Kate Chapman
Executive Director