[HOT] osm now has changeset discussions - use for validation messages?

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 02:19:11 UTC 2014

On 11/2/2014 4:25 PM, Yves wrote:
> It sounds as a good practice to comment on both ways.
> TM2 comments will be missed by the occasional HOT mapper I am.
> Yves

I am not clear on how I would comment on multiple changesets involved in
one task it would take to make sure each contributor got a message.

With the TM I can see the list of people who have contributed to a task
some what easily and then @ mention all of them in a validation comment,
or I can look at the task in the editor and perhaps see which
contributors might need a specific mention and mention those in the
validation message.

But I do not think I am going to be going through the changesets to
figure out the list of changesets I need to comment on for validation to
make sure each person gets a notice and the changeset applies to the
comment I send them. i.e., "The changeset you commented on that
mentioned squaring builds, doesn't have any buildings in it."

Dealing missed messages via code would be better to me. For example send
the validation message to every user who worked on the task
automatically, or give us an @ mention shortcut that sends the message
to each contributor to the task or allow users to "subscribe" to
comments on a task like you can subscribe to comments on a changeset in
this change.

I think the changeset comment system is of more use outside of the HOT
mapping context where individual changesets might be watched or have
meaning to multiple mappers who live in an area vs. hot mapping where
individual changesets are less meaningful individually as opposed to a
whole collection of changesets that we call a "task".