[HOT] Tile Navigation Suggestion

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Mon Nov 3 16:23:37 UTC 2014

Hi Noah,
this Grid layer could be an interesting feature in JOSM either. There is a JOSM enhancement ticket opened for this.https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/8464
 Pierre

      De : noah ahles <noah.ahles at gmail.com>
 À : hot at openstreetmap.org
 Envoyé le : Lundi 3 novembre 2014 9h53
 Objet : [HOT] Tile Navigation Suggestion

Hi Everyone,
I work at the Spatial Analysis Lab at the University of Vermont. We digitize as the bulk of our workload here and I had a suggestion that I think could increase the efficiency of edits. If there was a grid over each tile that could guide the user through editing, it would stop them from overlapping areas and increase accuracy of scanning. We do that here and it significantly improves performance.
Here is an example from one of our projects. I start at the yellow circle in the upper left and scan across and down, across and down etc. then end at the blue circle. There are multiple routes that could guide you through the tile; some people prefer going down each column instead of across the rows.

 This does not actually split the tile into multiple tasks, it just helps the user better organize their scanning route when looking through the imagery. I think this would be a nice function to be added to the ID editor that could be toggled on and off (maybe some people won't like it or a line could obstruct a feature).
Also, I am hosting another Mapathon in Burlington, VT on Sunday, November 9th 10am-4pm. Here is the event page if anyone is interested: http://osmebolaoutbreak.splashthat.com/
Best,
Noah Ahles