[HOT] UAV questions

Frederic Moine frmoine at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 06:29:01 UTC 2014

Yes we are working on it,

I didn't have the time to share my last mission in Haiti (oct 2014)
withan OSM contributeur Presler Jean, an international hydrologyst and a
local group of Hydrologyst and agromomist (very short mission few days) .

We are trying to see the use of UAV in Haiti. As since 2011 we have
implemented several projects with IOM, Cartong, Drone Adventure and OSM
Haiti.

What we want is:

- To repair UAV (wing and quacopter) in the field with 3D printer and
spare parts.

- To be able to fly uav over the most affected area (inundation and
landslide) and get a strong methodology to use 2d inundation modeling
and extract the height of the building with the UAV elevation model.
Ideally to see if we can extract automatically the building without a
lot of data cleaning to put in OSM (need more test)

Why we are doing that:

- We want to reinforce the capacity of the OSM group who are in front
line with the local community and local government during a disaster or
during their daily life.

- Try to interact with NGO or people who talk about Haiti (in seminar,
workshop, etc…) at the same level to ensure some impact In the field.

For example, NGO/UN are still building Latrine in cite soleil when OSM
and local community ask them stuff (shovel,etc…) to help them to clean
the canal http://osm.org/go/YeSWUQfrV-

It will take time as we don’t have a lot of money and the control of our
communication,  and in Haiti we will need first to support individual
and share knowledge during a mapping party our other to see a collective
movement.

All the best FredM