[HOT] UAV questions

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 06:43:49 UTC 2014

Dear FredM,

Please continue sharing your experience on community lead use of UAV.
In the PH, after Typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda,
several groups have demonstrated (some are commercial ventures) the
effective use of UAV imagery for post-disaster assessment.

Commercial providers are cheaper than satellite but still expensive
for community organizations to avail, so I'm thinking of how we can
build local community driven capacity for using UAVs here as well.

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 2:29 PM, Frederic Moine <frmoine at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes we are working on it,
>
> I didn't have the time to share my last mission in Haiti (oct 2014) withan
> OSM contributeur Presler Jean,  an international hydrologyst and a local
> group of Hydrologyst and agromomist (very short mission few days) .
>
> We are trying to see the use of UAV in Haiti. As since 2011 we have
> implemented several projects with IOM, Cartong, Drone Adventure and OSM
> Haiti.
>
> What we want is:
>
> - To repair UAV (wing and quacopter) in the field with 3D printer and spare
> parts.
>
> -  To be able to fly uav over the most affected area (inundation and
> landslide) and get a strong methodology to use 2d inundation modeling  and
> extract the height of the building with the  UAV elevation model.  Ideally
> to see if we can extract automatically the building without a lot of data
> cleaning to put in OSM (need more test)
>
> Why we are doing that:
>
> - We want to reinforce the capacity of the OSM group who are in front line
> with the local community and local government during a disaster or during
> their daily life.
>
> - Try to interact with NGO or people who talk about Haiti (in seminar,
> workshop, etc…) at the same level to ensure some impact In the field.
>
> For example, NGO/UN are still building Latrine in cite soleil when OSM and
> local community ask them stuff (shovel,etc…)  to help them to clean the
> canal http://osm.org/go/YeSWUQfrV-
>
> It will take time as we don’t have a lot of money and the control of our
> communication,  and in Haiti we will need first to support individual and
> share knowledge during a mapping party our other to see a collective
> movement.
>
> All the best FredM

cheers,
maning