[HOT] why is the imagery I see going gray?

althio forum althio.forum at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 12:12:49 UTC 2014

It is rather unfornatunate but Daniel is right: starting with zoom 18
a new Bing imagery is loaded.
It is supposedly better all around I guess... but obviously useless in
this area with the cloud cover.

What you are seeing when your double-click (when you zoom in from
level 17 to 18) is a glimpse of the first imagery at same resolution
(not higher-resolution I would say) then after a while (depending on
your download speed) the second imagery is loaded and appears.

A pretty bad hack in JOSM could be to set the maximum temporarily to
17 in the imagery settings
bing[17]:http://www.bing.com/maps/
instead of default
bing[22]:http://www.bing.com/maps/ [and revert when you are done]
You could then zoom in above zoom 18 and the clouded imagery would not
appear. You would be left with initial imagery getting more and more
pixelated as you zoom in.

In any case (iD, JOSM, ...) it seems that Bing at zoom 17 is the best
imagery available in the area and it has to be coped with.

althio