[HOT] Tracing the clan boundaries in Liberia

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 13:39:44 UTC 2014

Hi all:

I was doing some testing on manually tracing the clan boundaries of
Liberia from the UNMIL places data. That data includes, for the huge
majority of the 14,020 nodes, the clan each place belongs to, and also
the district and county.

There are 15 counties, divided in a total of 90 districts, and it
seems all of those boundaries are already in OSM (correct me if I am
wrong).

I would suggest to do this by one or two people, with experience in
making boundaries. We should agree in a tagging schema, to avoid
inconsistencies (it would be mainly for the source tag). Needless to
say, I offer myself on doing this.

To speed up the thing, here is my proposal for the tagging:

Segments:

boundary=administrative
admin_level=8
source=estimate (or something similar)

Maybe source:description=Data derivated from the UNMIL place nodes

Relations:

type=boundary
boundary=administrative
name=*
admin_level=8
source=UNMIL
source:description=Data derivated from the UNMIL place nodes

We would include the admin_centre of all clans (when easily guessed)
as member of each relation, adding to it the capital=8 tag. We could
also check if all districts have their admin_centre as member. If not,
we would add it, tagging it with capital=6.

Any problems, like having to change the district borders or other
issues, we would discuss them before doing such changes.

Cheers,

Rafael.

- --
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ravilacoya