[HOT] [Tag] #767 - Mali, Bamako

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 14:57:12 UTC 2014

Hi athio,

Oh I don't know. I don't think what I see classifies as "small
gardens" especially when grouped into contiguous parcels.

Considering how basically well mapped it is, I would just fix up the
tags and in at least one example:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/12.612812/-7.978442 make that a
proper multi polygon.

In rural and semi rural areas mapping plots that small as farmland
would not really be a good idea, that is why we have been focusing on
forest when in rural farmland, mapping what isn't farmland.

But in a dense urban area like that the reverse is true, small plots
of land like that are rare and GIS people can do interesting things
will the polygons well tagged.

Personally, I think the distinction between farmyard, farm and
farmland is difficult, actually, correct me if I am wrong, but I think
'farm' is deprecated so only either farmland of farmyard are the
choices. I go with farmland unless it is a really small homestead type
ag. which I almost never map so I basically don't use farmyard, only
farmland. These are right on the edge for me, bigger than small
backyard garden, smaller than commercial ag. I'd group them as much as
possible and tag them landuse=farmland.

I just saw you fix the aeroport=apron on the buildings, nice.

Cheers,
Blake