[HOT] [Tag] #767 - Mali, Bamako

althio forum althio.forum at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 16:16:24 UTC 2014

Hi Blake and HOT

Thank you for your insight.
I will try to follow your advice on "make that a proper multi polygon".
I realize 'small gardens' is a bit of a stretch.
These few parcels are less than 100 m x 100 m with crop patches typically
of 10 to 20 m so I thought they might be some kind of collective urban
gardens.

But I don't know how to tag this.
[... search in google ...
found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_gardening ...
... searching in the wiki ...
found http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Food_security#Community_gardens]
OK I have been lazy! ;) That fits quite well:

Community gardens

These are patches of land usually covering one or two city blocks where
community members can grow their own produce on an individual plot.
garden:type
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:garden:type&action=edit&redlink=1>
=* is relatively well-used (see taginfo
<http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/garden%3Atype>) and we include it
here to make the garden explicitly a community garden, not simply a garden
that is in a city and might be publicly accessed.

   - leisure <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:leisure>=garden
   <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dgarden>
   - garden:type
   <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:garden:type&action=edit&redlink=1>
   =community
   <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:garden:type%3Dcommunity&action=edit&redlink=1>
   - access <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access>=*

So I can leave it as landuse=farmland knowing the small surface speaks for
itself.
Second option is leisure=garden + garden:type=community.

What do you reckon?

Blake Girardot <bgirardot at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh I don't know. I don't think what I see classifies as "small
> gardens" especially when grouped into contiguous parcels.
>
> Considering how basically well mapped it is, I would just fix up the
> tags and in at least one example:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/12.612812/-7.978442 make that a
> proper multi polygon.

You are right that 'farm' is deprecated. And also from the wiki:
landuse <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landuse>=farmland
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dfarmland>: for farm land
(i.e. areas used for tillage and pasture; animals, vegetables, flowers,
fruit growing).
landuse <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landuse>=farmyard
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dfarmyard>: for area with
farm buildings (like farmhouses, dwellings, farmsteads, sheds, stables, barns,
equipment sheds, feed bunkers, etc.)

Knowing that,
I would then use landuse=farmyard for the yard of the bigger farms; this
would be surrounded by big landuse=farmland.
A smaller farm on the contrary would be a building, maybe no real yard and
a landuse=farmland.