[HOT] Fwd: Re: Interview on Mapping for Ebola for Serbian TV

Charlotte Wolter techlady at techlady.com
Wed Oct 1 23:48:57 UTC 2014

All,

         Journalists don't have short attention spans. They have
DEADLINES, with the
emphasis on DEAD. If it's not done at a certain time, it doesn't run.
         Also, most are writing NEWS, which means the story has to be something
NEW. So, you need to talk to them while the story is NEW, at least to them.
         And, yes, it is always a good idea to say, "I'm not really the best
person to talk about that. Let me put you through to (Kate, Andrew or Pierre).
         If you follow those simple pinciples, we won't miss out on
press coverage.

Charlotte

>  t=1412071851; bh=nhAYgPQFyrwhzTKi5fCscJGyUMDSyobPNr+Evh4dmuw=;
>
>h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-YMail-OSG:Date:From:Reply-To:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:References:Subject:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:Content-Length:From:Subject;
>
>b=OneNBySm9M0ZIFD5EUwdjEXuAC89Sg34Y3FX3YvVj6jUlRQhgBEbx3lbFQSgyVyAj7ZjosBi/K/Z5otFvC4alv1lV4oFuQzptD1OKx+3KWrKqZEfx4bZR/VonDOEzlIEl9sqkV10s8MnSRWNh13GEvd131YxJekJPNK5Y5Pv3pDjyow9jO6iN0ZbXKfB0+fk4iRxhCqTcSioYQ6uPXJp7NN20dRFz9S6olDV2a4OQqshYUGTi6xMCnnGqXeNBuwPmCFb9BnCW5tvHTwCKzBlDSFnKjcvHBxYVfRF0Z2fISF2vCqm1WBtN436gUCCyEoys1uIN702F/SFaXwCZgqdxg==
>
>b=oXXpqjmgdMHKlaGB6Mcil0LGXM2QUaL57lxnIkHnIaDkAJlNLWX5ungfiO1uxzcr/tijRq5Bd0jJ/qasg4NB+w0/9oagqg3HteTILmukXnxEvNVKT2wQKvxRx0llebpl07MdjIwA20WZhU81EDH15gFlKJkdVZNXiLQHsXHEHPoyjgJgxU3g5r/ZX1nmBScb6AKYChLpWeEGNZPKHPuqAJpxd8cbHxbxhRI6tbDR3HtJwITf6+4FNRJ2/mPO74vmpdBjnk8sLaCJ2jh0wvxsJzK8LV6ByMDQgDOwEttZqCi7+X/KqybRL6dmkynQmx8XrmKE8rga77mDoaXOz/dHYA==;
>Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 10:10:50 +0000 (UTC)
>From: Harry Wood <mail at harrywood.co.uk>
>To: Luca Manunta <manunta at gmail.com>,
>  "hot at openstreetmap.org" <hot at openstreetmap.org>
>Subject: Re: [HOT] Interview on Mapping for Ebola for Serbian TV
>  <mailto:hot-request at openstreetmap.org?subject=subscribe>

> > > 1) is there any Serbian national who would like to answer some
> > questions on his/her experience in mapping for Ebola?
>
>Would this be in line with HOT guidelines? Does anybody need to
>issue a "permission"?
>
> > We discussed recently, what the protocols should be if a
> journalist or news
>organisation contacts us through info at hotosm.org asking for a HOT
>representative.
>As they're asking you, I guess it's less important to get the right
>person, but in
>general it's obviously good to put forward people who are very involved and
>can give a good interview. I think the best thing would be a Serbian
>national who
>is (at least a little bit) involved. (You actually don't have to
>know all the ins and
>outs of the Ebola activation, to be able to answer basic questions
>from journalists
>about OpenStreetMap)
>
>Anyone Serbians available?
>
> > > could any "manager" of HOT release an interview (I was thinking
> > maybe through Skype or something) to this journalist?
>
> > I am happy to do this yes. Or people like Kate and Mikel are
> probably quite
>reachable for an interview over Skype. And Andrew Buck is an
>activation co-ordinator,
>of course. As native English speakers these people would tend to
>give good interviews.
>
> > > Please let me know asap since I need to reply to the journalist
> today or tomorrow.
>
> > YES! My top tip for responding to journalists: Respond
> Immediately! If they give you a
> [...]

Charlotte Wolter
927 18th Street Suite A
Santa Monica, California