[HOT] Togo-based Western African mapathon to support the OSM activation in support of the Ebola humanitarian response

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Sat Oct 4 15:15:39 UTC 2014

Thanks to all for your support.

There are news that the epidemy has now extended to all of Liberia. Also news about Port-Loko in Sierra Leone. We are creating new Task manager jobs for all these areas.

Other then supporting MSF, Red Cross / Red crescent and other humanitarian organizations deployed in West Africa, we participate to the UN Mission for Ebola Emergency Response (UNMEER), coordinating with WHO, OCHA and others.
http://www.un.org/ebolaresponse/mission.shtml

The OpenStreetMap Setllements are one of the base data to support this mission. And surely, all the road and building tracing, plus the very effective Data download services provided by the OSM community.

The last two weeks, I was invited to present the OpenStreetMap response to Ebola. First at the GeONG conference in Chambery, and this week at the Condatos OpenData Regional conference for Latin America and Caribean coutries.  At both events, there where various presentations about OSM. It was very motivating to see the perception of the international community about such and effort and professionalism from the OSM community.

We covered so far more then 40,000 km2 for Guinée, Libéria et Sierra Leone. To control the spread of the Epidemy, we still have to trace more areas.

Import of place names is also a very significative contribution for this Response. To progress more rapidly to revise Place Names, we are again asking for help. If you are interested, please contact Blake Girardot or Rafael Avila Coya providing your osm account.

If you map today to support our West Africa OSM colleagues, please answer or retweet there messages.
https://twitter.com/konan_maurel/status/518065027405058048
https://twitter.com/ProjetEOF/status/518135796508160001

Regard

Pierre