[HOT] HOT Voting Members Meeting Summary

Russell Deffner russell.deffner at hotosm.org
Fri Oct 17 15:36:47 UTC 2014

Hello HOT,

A huge thank you to the HOT Voting Members who assembled together yesterday
to ratify an amendment to our Bylaws.  This was not an easy task and
actually over the past several months the Board of Directors, Governance
Working Group and myself have spent a lot of time looking at our current
state and asking ourselves how we overcome the difficulties of being a
globally inclusive membership.  The short take I have gathered from our
Members is that the majority felt our Bylaws were too restrictive as they
are similar to those of a more traditional, typically geographically close
and of one language, non-profit/NGO whose members physically assemble for
meetings; which our group is definitely not.  Therefore I believe that our
Members made a good choice to reduce our quorum requirement to one-fourth
(1/4) so we can assemble a more reasonable amount of Members to conduct
business of the organization without punishing Members who have previously
demonstrated their ability to contribute towards our mission but are greatly
hindered by language, time zone and/or reliability of the internet where
they are to attend meetings.  It is not the only work needed to be done to
utilize our membership's talents and increase their ability to contribute to
our mission; and I know our members are keenly aware that we need to
maintain the integrity of our organization by allowing Members to
participate more asynchronously while still being held accountable. However,
I personally believe this is a step in the right direction as only with the
use of Proxy attendance were we able to finally have a majority of Members
represented at a meeting.  Once again, thank you to everyone who made the
effort to attend or find a Proxy to attend on your behalf, meetings should
be a little less painful to pull off from here forward.

The details of the meeting are now linked from the HOT wiki-page or can be
viewed directly, here:
https://docs.google.com/a/hotosm.org/document/d/19b9g_yyo9kNmNTsuOYLjQ0JS0xg
F0maaiZApnBQ_Vm0/edit

Sincerely,