[HOT] Video that Best Represents Our Work?

Kate Chapman kate.chapman at hotosm.org
Tue Oct 21 05:42:46 UTC 2014

Hi John,

There are a few videos out there, but I don't know of too many recent ones.
You are right a simple screencast showing how to map a building for example
would be really helpful. I made some videos in 2010 about mapping from
imagery in Haiti and people really enjoyed them.

Having updated ones would be great.

Best,

-Kate

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 5:59 PM, john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Talking of videos are there any training videos about what HOT expects?
>
> The reason I ask is that although we break down to give tasks can we break
> it down even more.  ie teach someone to do a simple task of map a building
> using high resolution satellite imagery, sounds dumb but map one in JOSM, q
> it to square it, tag it building=yes, select, <Crtl>c move the mouse to
> another <crtl>v, adjust the four corners, q again etc.
>
> The concept is we can teach people to map buildings on You-tube, its
> simple and has value.
>
> Another would teach people how to recognise a road and to tag it or
> highway=path.
>
> We may need expertise to map things like water bodies, rivers, streams and
> forests but buildings and footpaths in Africa are probably 80% of what
> needs to be mapped and you don't need a degree in GIS to do this.  Let's
> delegate what we can.
>
> Cheerio John
>
> On 20 October 2014 15:55, Kate Chapman <kate.chapman at hotosm.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Is there a video you think best represents our work? Most videos seem to
>> focus on one project or are a talk at a conference. Do we have anything
>> that is less specific?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -Kate
>>
>> --
>> Kate Chapman
>> Executive Director
>> email: kate.chapman at hotosm.org
>> U.S. mobile: +1 703 673 8834
>> Indonesian mobile: +62 82123068370
>>
>> *Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team *
>> *Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development*
>> web <http://hot.openstreetmap.org> | twitter <http://twitter.com/hotosm>
>>  | facebook <http://facebook.com/hotosm> | donate
>> <http://hot.openstreetmap.org/donate>

Kate Chapman