[HOT] West Africa Ebola Outbreak - Task Manager job for Kayes, Mali

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Sat Oct 25 21:18:41 UTC 2014

Upon activation for Mali in early 2013, we had had to trace the road network in sandy areas. Our African colleagues familiar with these conditions at the rainy season where the drivers go in all directions to avoid the ruts, leave traces that resemble spaghetti.

For mapping Kayes, Task 711, I see this same situation. When you trace the road netwrok, you need to think about what is important to represent among all the traces that you see. If a driver avoids the center of the road and set a new trace, then a second, third, etc. or another takes a shortcut, we should not represent all these derivations on the map.

See the example below where the too many traces resembles to spaghetti. Be careful and retain what is significant.

 http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/14.5348/-11.4089
 Pierre