[HOT] Additional mailing lists for the HOT Working Groups?

Jaakko Helleranta.com jaakko at helleranta.com
Tue Oct 28 22:55:49 UTC 2014

Hi Blake, Claire, Pierre & all,

Thanks for the question and your thoughts.

This is an issue the Board discussed in our meeting face to face I think in
a couple of different places (communication channels, group interactions,
engagement). But we didn't get to a solution that would be presentable and
I don't know if some related WG has discussed this yet in any way (likely
Comm, maybe Community or possibly Tech?).

You described well what I've been feeling on a couple of occasions too. One
thing I've been thinking, though, is if plain email list is what would be
best suitable for such discussions. Email has been the core of HOT's
communication (with IRC). And I think that what ever solution we'd choose
it should in any case be email capable in some way. Among the top reasons
I'd like to see a not-only-email solution to our online discussions needs
is that even with the current channels I have I'd love to follow some of
those rather in some forum-like environment. Something that would not just
pile up in my mailbox. Something that I could check out at times even if I
didn't follow that regularly. I feel that email lists are not very good for
that.

I've also had an "issue" with the way email is interactive. My issue is
that the _only_ way email is interactive is with a reply; to the sender or
to all. And if it's not to all (to the list) it won't be really accessible
to anyone but the one recipient.
I think that in 2014 that is less than what we (or at least I) expect.
Co-incidentally just yesterday I asked the board for any ideas how we could
solve this problem within HOT. .. The question was related to a comment
that I needed to send to all to let others know that I agreed with the
original email. We've all seen excess +1:ing on email lists. .. In fact,
all +1:ing feels either like borderline or clear spam (I think). But there
is no better way with that technology. There's just no way to express a
simple nod -- +1 (sic!) -- via email so that it wouldn't be obtrusive in
the bigger picture.

So, this is now a question to the collective wisdom of the 800+ people on
this email list.
(.. And putting that number here I feel that this is not really the best
way to discuss this):
How could we solve the new/expanding needs of communication in our growing
community?
Could we tweak OpenAtrium to make it (sufficiently) suitable for this?
Or would some other, perhaps a forum or a forum like system make sense? ..
No, not Facebook, not organizationally on a global level (.. even though
some countries OSM/HOT groups prefer that).
But so, ideas?

Should this be simply sent to the Communications or/and(?) Tech WG for
handling?
Create a collaborative doc to ping ideas?

Should we perhaps create another general email list for hot-actives@ where
we wouldn't need to bother all who are interested in HOT in _some_ way with
all possible issues?
.. Such hot-actives@ list has been in my thoughts a number of times over
the years, BTW. Way back when I was studying in Finland practically all
larger student organizations had most commonly three types of lists
[org-name]-info at lists.[university].fi [org-name]-members@ and
[org-name]-actives@ lists.  It worked really well. When a discussion grew
too active for the membership@ list it was naturally transferred to the
actives@ list. Perhaps this could be a good thing in any case. But it
wouldn't solve the interaction issue.

We've also been discussing that we would create a HOT news letter email
list, which could actually be what some people on this current hot at osm list
might rather be interested. The news letter distribution would (hopefully)
also be a lower barrier for entering the HOT communications ecosystem than
hot at osm (which is really the only thing we currently have on this level).

Pierre: What did you mean with group discussion features of "our
hot.openstreetmap service"?

Cheers,
-Jaakko
--