[HOT] [OSM-talk] Skybox release aerial imagery
mikel.maron at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 11:32:16 UTC 2014
I've been talking with the Google Crisis Response team, and they have confirmed:
* Imagery released under Skybox for Good can be digitized into OSM under OSM's license.
* The attribution requirement can be fulfilled by attributing Skybox in a given changeset and/or feature comment/tag. As well as noted on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors
* While it's not a requirement, interested to start conversation about more robust attribution down the line, ala the dynamic attribution in Google Maps (something like an API to view attribution for a particular area, to integrate into web viewers)
* HOT is welcome to make additional requests.
They want to know the best place to formally let OSM know the above. If the gist of the above sounds reasonable, I think the best place to announce would be on legal-talk@
While we are working on the legal details, it would also be worthwhile for us to test the suitability of the imagery for OSM tracing. Is the geo-referencing and resolution fit for our purposes?
* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron
On Monday, October 27, 2014 5:37 PM, Rob Nickerson <rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com> wrote:
>Google (through their acquisition of skybox) have released some aerial imagery under the Cc-by licence:
>Can someone just remind me - are we able to use this in OpenStreetMap? If yes, please forward to the HOT mailing list as it is of value to them.
>Finally we should be very proud of what we as a community have achieved. The work that we, HOT and those who have already made aerial imagery available (bing, digital globe, etc) have achieved to date is so significant that other big players are following in our footsteps. This is a great day :-)
>talk mailing list
>talk at openstreetmap.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the HOT