[HOT] Satellite imagery interpretation examples - looking for suggestions

Enock Seth Nyamador kwadzo459 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 13:05:30 UTC 2014


>
> Personally I'm currently attempting to work on a series of slides used

when delivering training at events, and I like to include screenshots from

iD&  JOSM and in each I like to have the scale visible.


Great! Blake. Waiting for you to share them when done.

Quite often, a road can look too narrow to be classified as "unclassified",
so people put "path" on it. But that's in a lot of cases because the treetop
makes it seem narrow, but at the bottom, it's wide enough for vehicles to
pass.

I always use unclassified to be on the safer side.

There are precious few photos in Wikimedia Commons showing forest roads
and hamlets in West Africa. I started to collect those I could localize and
associate with a tag. Only primary roads so far. Some from DRC.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Rwst/Commons_
photos_roads_hamlets_w-africa

>From those cool images from I think I should start pushing mine from Ghana
too to Commons as well:). I've uploaded some of such roads here in Ghana
via www.mapillary.com

Enock

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Blake Girardot <bgirardot at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Oh those pictures are really cool, ty.
>
> On 9/10/2014 6:15 AM, Ralf Stephan wrote:
>
>> There are precious few photos in Wikimedia Commons showing forest roads
>> and hamlets in West Africa. I started to collect those I could localize
>> and
>> associate with a tag. Only primary roads so far. Some from DRC.
>>
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Rwst/Commons_
>> photos_roads_hamlets_w-africa
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Sander Deryckere<sanderd17 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Some pictures on the Africa highways wiki page wouldn't hurt either.
>>>
>>> Quite often, a road can look too narrow to be classified as
>>> "unclassified",
>>> so people put "path" on it. But that's in a lot of cases because the
>>> treetop
>>> makes it seem narrow, but at the bottom, it's wide enough for vehicles to
>>> pass.
>>>
>>> 2014-09-10 9:21 GMT+02:00 Nick Allen<nick.allen.54 at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>>>
>>>> Blake,
>>>>
>>>> I'm hoping you can come up with a way of sharing the screenshots on
>>>> these
>>>> subjects. As well as the wiki or LearnOSM article you develop, the basic
>>>> screenshots could be of enormous help for those who produce items on
>>>> twitter, facebook, press articles, slideshows for presentations etc..
>>>>
>>>> Personally I'm currently attempting to work on a series of slides used
>>>>
>>>> when delivering training at events, and I like to include screenshots
>>>>> from
>>>>
>>>> iD&  JOSM and in each I like to have the scale visible.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> There are many others on this mailing list with more experience on the
>>>> subject of sharing the information, but this could include a shared
>>>> folder
>>>> in GoogleDrive, or Dropbox.
>>>>
>>>> Regards
>>>>
>>>> Nick
>>>> (Tallguy)
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On 10/09/14 02:32, Blake Girardot wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> You might have read in a few emails I was hoping to put up some
>>>> satellite
>>>> imagery that shows things we often map in W. Africa.
>>>>
>>>> Originally and still mainly, I wanted some examples of schools and roads
>>>> of different types.
>>>>
>>>> I am open to any suggestions for things to include and if you find any
>>>> good examples with MapBox imagery please send them my way.
>>>>
>>>> Or if you find something that you don't know what it is, please share it
>>>> here and we'll get it identified.
>>>>
>>>> For users of iD, just center on the thing in question and then copy/past
>>>> the url from your web browser into an email.
>>>>
>>>> JOSM users can click in the lower left corner of their window and a
>>>> location box will pop up, you can just copy/paste the url from that box
>>>> into
>>>> an email.
>>>>
>>>> Cheers,
>>>> Blake
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> HOT mailing list
>>>> HOT at openstreetmap.org
>>>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>>
>>>> Nick
>>>>
>>>> Volunteer 'Tallguy' for
>>>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team
>>>>
>>>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Tallguy
>>>>
>>>> Treasurer, website&  Bonus Ball admin for
>>>> http://www.6thswanleyscouts.org.uk/ (treasurer at 6thswanleyscouts.org.uk)
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> HOT mailing list
>>>> HOT at openstreetmap.org
>>>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> HOT mailing list
>>> HOT at openstreetmap.org
>>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
>>>
>>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> HOT mailing list
>> HOT at openstreetmap.org
>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> HOT mailing list
> HOT at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
>



-- 
@Enock4seth
User:Enock4seth
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/attachments/20140910/0e0522ba/attachment.html>


More information about the HOT mailing list