[HOT] OSM humanitarian layer as an ArcGIS basemap?

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Sep 10 16:04:04 UTC 2014

On 9/10/2014 8:25 AM, Claire Halleux wrote:
> In case anyone of you would be using OSM basemap in ArcGIS 10 and
> would know some details about it... people involved in mapping DRC
> Ebola emergency are currently looking for those informations:
> - is it possible to change the standard OSM layer to the humanitarian
> layer in ArcGIS and how?
It should be possible to add a layer. I don't know ArcGIS, but you want
to add a TMS layer, and the URLs are something like
http://{switch:a,b,c}.tile.openstreetmap.fr/hot/{z}/{x}/{y}.png
> - what is the exact frequency of WMS refresh (think it's daily but not
> confirmed and when exactly)?
The layer is not a WMS layer, but a TMS layer. Data is consumed
minutely, but it uses a standard tile cache/tile store setup where it
stores previously rendered tiles and re-renders them when updated. Thus
there is no guarantee of currency. In general, it will behave the same
as the Standard layer on OpenStreetMap.org
> - it often happens that the software doesn't properly load the tiles,
> displaying some tiles from different zoom levels, even with a good
> Internet connection (maybe the cache?), how to avoid this issue?
I understand the server has been at 100% usage lately