[HOT] Training or Coaching Task / Project within TM? (Nick Allen)

Nick Allen nick.allen.54 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 23:06:43 UTC 2014

Melanie,

Thank you for your message. It's good to know that research is taking
place at such a level.

It would be good if you, and perhaps other members of your group, joined
the HOT Training Working Group.

The wiki entry concerning the Training WG is
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Working_groups/Training
& the Hackpad containing discussion points is at
https://hackpad.com/Discussion-ideas-for-HOTs-training-working-group-mYgJQEbueIi

Sharing & pooling our resources would be ideal.

Regards

Nick
(Tallguy)

On 10/09/14 16:20, Melanie Eckle wrote:
> Dear Nick,
>
> my name is Melanie, I am reserach assistant at the GIScience
> department of the Heidelberg University/ Germany. Our group is focused
> on research in the area of Volunteered Geographic Information. One of
> the subjects we are investigating at the moment is to find ways to
> improve the quality/ accuracy of remote mapping by volunteers. With
> this background, I was very happy to read your post in the mailing
> list, since your idea fits very well with our efforts.
> I could not agree more and would be very happy to contribute. I have
> been mapping for quite some time, conducted trainings with new mappers
> and have been working on new possibilities to facilitate the mapping
> process for beginners. I developed some training material for that
> purpose, showing the most important steps to be taken before mapping,
> common errors that occur during mapping and introducing some
> shortcuts. Working in Kathmandu with KathmanduLivingLabs, I also
> discovered the problems remote mappers got identifying unknown
> features in foreign countries. A problems that often leads to wrong
> tagging or digitization. On this account, the second part of the
> training material gives an overview of the most common features that
> can be found in the country that the mapping is conducted in (in this
> case Nepal) and the right tags that need to be used (Nepal taggging
> guidelines). I am actually testing the use of the material and already
> got good results and very positive feedback by the new mappers that
> used the training dossier.
> I am happy to share the material if you are interested and would love
> to find out more about your project idea.
>
> Kind regards
> Melanie

Nick

Volunteer 'Tallguy' for
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team

http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Tallguy

Treasurer, website & Bonus Ball admin for
http://www.6thswanleyscouts.org.uk/ (treasurer at 6thswanleyscouts.org.uk
<mailto:treasurer at 6thswanleyscouts.org.uk>)